May and June Announcements
Thanks to a generous grant from the Heart of Cook we will be able to make the following improvements to our trail system.
- HIGHLINE TRAIL. Sarett naturalists will be adding on to the “challenge” trail for kids. It is located just off the boardwalk on the Ridge Loop. Check it out on your next visit. Little ones may need a helping hand.
- WEST MARSH OVERLOOK. This summer volunteers and naturalists are working on a new tower in West Marsh. This tower will take the place of the current tower and will allow visitors to see more of the marsh and wildlife.
MEMORIALS & HONORARIUMS: A donation was made in honor of Lois Grimm and memorials were made for Betty Zoschke and Barry Leedy.
THANK YOU: A BIG thank you to all our volunteers! You are so important to our mission to provide quality environmental education the community and valued by our staff. Thanks for every thing you do!
SPRING STAMPEDE: Out of a total registration of 361, 294 runners and walkers braved the chilly morning to compete in Sarett’s annual 5K walk and run. Great fun was had by all including the 25 kids in the one mile fun run. A BIG thank you to our sponsors including: Kruger Plastic Products, The Coast 98.3, WSJM Sports Radio 1400, Medical Massage, State Farm Insurance, South Shore Health & Racquet Club, Sparkle Carwash, Vail Rubber Works INC., The South Bend Chocolate Co., Hart Well Drilling, Wanderlust Outfitters, Clementine’s Too, Silver Beach Pizza, B & Z Company, On the River Tavern, Horizon Bank, Tosi’s Restaurant, Papa Vino’s, Autobahn Imports, Kilwins Ice Cream, Dodds Wealth Management, Louis Padnos Iron & Metal Company, Biggby Coffee, Zoup!, Sensational Industries, INC., Wings Etc. Grill & Bar, Chemical Bank, Rivers Edge Bar & Grill, Broad St. Café, “List with Lars” -Re/Max by the Lake, M & M Scra, Two by Two Animal Hospital, 12 Corners Vineyards & Winery, Kepner’s Precision Auto Krafters, Michigan Pizza Hut Inc.
2018 NATURAL HISTORY TRIPS: Sarett naturalists are planning fun adventures for 2018. To see full itineraries of these trips and past trips, click here.
- Kayaking Up North Weekend—June 15-17 (Full)
- Alaska—July 30-August 11 (Full but has space for one more female)
- Badlands/ Black Hills—September 16-23 (Still space available)
- Ontario—Killarney, Algonquin and French River areas—October 1-7 (Full)
- Southern Africa—October 31-November 16 (Full)
For 2019, we are already looking at Baja, Yellowstone and Iceland. Let us know if you are interested in any of our trips and we will send a complete itinerary when it is ready. We are looking forward to traveling with you!
MEMBERSHIP: Sarett Nature Center is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to teaching environmental education. Donations, contributions and memberships support Sarett. Please join. $50/Family, $40/Individual. Send your name, address, and check payable to Sarett Nature Center, 2300 Benton Center Road, Benton Harbor, MI 49022.
PAY ONLINE: It’s easy! Sarett can accept payments for memberships, donations, animal sponsorships and trips online. Just visit our website www.sarett.com, click on Make a Payment, click to Pay Now and enter the Online Payment Portal where you can create a user name and password to start your account or make a quick payment by clicking the “Pay Online” button and follow the instructions.