Nature Notebook – Sarett’s Butterfly House
The Butterfly House is full of butterflies! Here are some fun factoids to enhance your visit:
- The longwing family of butterflies (including the Julias, zebra longwings and Gulf fritillary) has learned to dissolve pollen for a meal that is more nutrient-laden than nectar. They can live three to six months…much longer than the average 3-4 weeks of other species.
- The giant swallowtail is the largest species found in the United States.
- Julias tickles caiman (small crocodiles) eyes to lap up the salty tears.
- Painted lady butterflies live on every continent except Australia and Antarctica.
- Cloudless sulfur butterflies also migrate in the winter. They head for south Florida.
- Male monarchs dip specialized hairs into their black scent pockets (the spots on the hind wings) and wave them about to attract females.